Wow! Has it been since April that I posted last? Sheesh, my how time flies when life gets in the way…. A number of updates since April.
Chronilogically, I guess we need to start with May! May proved to be a month of upheavals in our life. Not that I am complaining. I survived it to write about it, so it can’t be all bad, right?
1) I got laid off from my job. Not a bad thing at all. Frankly, I was tired of working for the lab. The layoff resulted in the end of a friendship, too. I treasured that friendship (dripping sarcasm)…. So glad I buried it (pity I couldn’t do the same with the person involved) …. Enough said about that. I do not wish that person any ill will but, am overjoyed that I don’t have to deal with the drama, lies, deceit, treachery, and petulance any more. Alex, is equally thrilled to have them out of our lives.
2) The end of our car… Yes, two weeks after my layoff, our beloved Kia Sportage died. The engine block cracked and breathed its last gasp on the east end of the Port Mann Bridge. Fortunately, it had enough ooomph left in it to make it off the bridge. Otherwise, it would have resulted in a hefty fine. So, here it is at my mechanics’ waiting for the final resting place. Gonna miss the beast, but, in retrospect, I am saving $130 month in insurance, $150+ / month in fuel, and who knows how much in maintenance. So, that in itself is a good thing.
But, I am still missing it. Now, to start putting money aside for another vehicle. Fortunately, we are not in a real fired up hurry for a vehicle because we have great friends who either let us borrow their vehicle or they come to visit us and take us erranding.
3) The homestead. Well, as luck would have it, we have been very fortunate in having a great growing season. There has been so many plants, flowers, veggies that Alex has grown successfully that we won’t be needing to buy a number of items for months to come. Alex planted 3 vegetable gardens…. We have grown corn, tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, beets, radishes, potatoes, squash, cucumbers, strawberries, and blueberries. We have been so successful that we are looking at building a greenhouse in the fall so we can continue to harvest other items such as herbs, peppers, and the like. We have been able to secure a whole bunch of windows, wood and supplies to begin construction soon. Will keep you posted on the status of that.
Just one of three gardens…. My husband has the GREENEST thumb!!!
4) June showers….. Nykie update. Nykie continues to astound me and Alex. His health is holding steady. He seems happy, he eats twice a day, manages to keep moving and is generally a happy 15 1/2 year old dog. Every day is a blessing to have him around. The only issues that we have had with him recently were that he appears to be losing his hearing (sigh). No more yelling at him ‘cuz he just can’t tell…. Then there is his grooming. Boy, you would think that a dog that just loves to prance around would want to look his best…. Nope, not Nykie. He fought us tooth and nail to NOT be groomed. So much trauma that I gave up and hired a professional dog groomer to come in and do him. Welcome to Aussie Mobile Pet Grooming!!! What a great concept! We phoned in, made an appointment for Nykie. They came to the door, talked with Alex and myself for about 20 minutes before she even touched him. Once, we got the muzzle on him, he settled in and had the full meal deal: Brushing, Bathing, Nail Trimming, Ear Cleaning, De-Matting and so much more. If you are ever looking for a great pet groomer – http://www.aussiepetmobile.ca/ is the way to go…..
His lordship after checking out the geraniums…. Or his impression of Bozo the clown. You decide…
5) New family additions…. So, if anyone ever asks you what kind of dog mades the best bird dog…. tell them, NYKIE. In three weeks he caught a budgie and a cockatiel.
Meet Lucky, the Budgie. We kept him. The Cockatiel went to the pet store. Never liked Cockatiels and Lucky DEFINITELY didn’t. You can see from the picture that he was not happy about having this interloper…
Finally, meet Caramel and Patches. The newest additions to the household…. These two guys are going to be living with us for a while, it would seem.
6) Mom’s visit. Mom had been jonesing to come to Vancouver for a while now and with the assistance of my brothers and sister, we were finally able to accommodate her. So, at the end of July, Mom came to visit. Her visit was entertaining to say the least. She still manages to get around quite well and was fun to have out…. for the week. I have always been in awe of my mother. She manages to keep herself busy by swimming 6 days a week and has a variety of hobbies that include her latest craze: Making beaded purses….
these babies are hand made from scratch. They are beaded and lined. And she is selling them for $50 / each…. Good deal, right? If you want one, let me know…. I have all the ones shown in the pic.
Here she is with a few friends from the park just hanging out drinking wine…..
Well, that should keep you going for a while. So much more to tell: my infamous bouts with Kidney Stones, the surgery, the recovery (ick) and finding things to keep me amused…. Details to follow.
I do promise to try and write more sooner rather than later… Here’s hoping that I can keep that promise….
One thought on “A really, really, really late update”
Sorry to read about all of your excitement. Stay excited about life, Al, and keep positive!